March 30, 2019
VSO in need of National Volunteer Education.
Locations: Enugu, Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Nigeria
Start date: 06 May, 2019
Background and Contextual Information
- This role is part of a significant nationwide project entitled ‘Peer to Peer Mentoring (P2PM). P2PM aims to improve learning outcomes in numeracy and language skills in every primary school in the country for children in primary 1 to primary 3. VSO is a key implementing partner in the project and takes the lead role in working at school and community levels. VSO works by engaging both international and national volunteers across Nigeria.VSO is committed to providing meaningful access to education.
- The Government of Nigeria has articulated its commitment to promoting education. However there have been difficulties in implementing a unified set of education policies and this is consequently reflecting as (a) regional difference in levels/quality of education, (b)non-inclusive formal learning, and (C) arbitrary implementation of educational curricala between private and public schools.
- According to UNICEF, Nigeria has a large population of out-of-school learning youth and children with one out of every five of the world out-of-school children from Nigeria. Whilst a there has been an articulated government commitment, public and private efforts to provide formal learning opportunities to all children in Nigeria, These efforts have reportedly been stifled as statistical evidence presents the sad facts that about 40% of Nigeria Children aged 6-11 years do not attend primary school regularly – these include among many(i) children with special needs, (ii) marginalised children, (iii) out-of-school children, or (iv) children that dropped out of school. It is the belief of VSO that children in this category form a significant proportion for the future of Nigeria.
- P2PM component aims to improve learning outcomes of children in the above categories.VSO is committing to lead the design and implementation of interventions aimed at supporting these children, their teachers and parents in order to achieve better learning outcomes and opportunities for them with the hope that this will pillar as a mitigation for the eradication poverty in the future.
- P2PMprogram interventions will focus on i) improvements to identification and screening; ii) teacher development and teaching practice; iii) enhanced school leadership; and improved coordination and management.
- The role of the Education National Graduate Volunteer is key to the achievement of all of these interventions. The Volunteer will play a central support to the coordination and implementationof program at assigned area, supporting schools, local authorities, parents and communities to improve the education of children with targeted by the program.
- The volunteer will be recruited to work in a locality as shall be assigned and shall be supporting selected schools and their communities. The post holderwill work closely with the existing VSO volunteer staff and international and national volunteers working with these same schools.
- VSO aims to support the piloting of this role with a view to it being formally adopted in the education system in the long-term. This is a unique opportunity for successful candidates to contribute to shaping this role as part of the future of the National education system.
- Support inclusive education programs in Schools identified by VSO Nigeria
- Support and work closely with teachers, community volunteers, school parents and guardians to improve child learning in and outside schools.
- Provide support and mentorshipto teachersin the use of teachers’ tool kits from Primary 1-to 3.
- Coordinate participation of parents/guardians and community stakeholders to support activities that contribute to quality inclusive education.
- Support sensitisation and awareness creation in communities and schools for increased access of school drop-outs or children-out-of school and marginalised children to quality inclusive education.
- Collaborate with head teachers and education administrators to provide conducive and safe learning environment for children of all school age.
- Conduct M&E while providing support the collection and use of data as baseline for generating reports on program progress and learning.
- Collate and provide monthly, quarterly and annual report of field activities to program lead.
- Report to both the Programme Coordinator/Officer Education of Education and VSO Partner NGOs on implementation of activities
- Work in collaboration with partners/CSO and other volunteers to coordinate activities on IE under the supervision of the PM Education.
Key Performance Indicator:
- Improved identification and assessment of children that are out-of-school, dropped out and marginalized.
- Improved teaching and learning of children in Primary 1-3 in literacy and numeracy
- Improved leadership at school and local community level towards support of the learning of children that are identified as marginalized, out-of-school or school drop outs.
- Improved parental and community engagement in the education of children.
- Increased ability of the school to respond to issues of risks, shock and stress
- Documented learning for the scale-up of the role.
Building and Sustaining working relationship:
- The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a common goal.
Open Minded and Respectful:
- A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
Seeking and Sharing Knowledge:
- Recognition that learning is a two-way and continuous process.
Facilitating Positive Change:
- The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Skills and Knowledge
Successful candidates are likely to have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- A Nigerian with at least a National Certificate in Education (NCE) or qualification related to education.
- Practical teaching experience at primary level, preferably of children in early primary school stage (Primary 1-3).
- A good level of spoken and written English.
- Excellentinterpersonalskills and able to work with a range of people in different roles and with different backgrounds and levels of knowledge and experience.
- Able to work with minimal supervision, taking initiative and taking responsibility for results.
- A commitmentto supporting educational improvement.
- A commitmentto workonthe programme for1 year to maximize theirlearning about effective programme deliveryand change-management
The following skills, knowledge and experience would be useful but not essential:
- Experience of school leadership.
- Training and/or mentoring experience preferably in education.
- Data collection and project monitoring experience.
- Strong ICT skillsin particular good knowledge of using tablets, smartphones and computers for data collection.
- Experience of training, supporting and mentoring others
Method of Application
Click Here to Download Job Description (MS Word)
Interested and qualified? Go to VSO career website on www.vsointernational.org to apply