Job Number: 520188
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 364 days, renewable
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Post
- The purpose of the position is to provide technical and programme support to UNICEF education in emergencies activities in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states as part of UNICEF’s scale up under the L3 including coordination, oversight and development of strategies, action plans and other relevant and required documents, provide technical expertise in support of achieving results, working with the education team and other programme sections in Borno Field Office.
How can you make a difference:
Knowledge Management for Programmes:
- Contribute to country programmes by supporting knowledge management on Education in Emergencies (EiE) through providing professional assistance in data collection and analysis, complete and accurate reporting as well as participation in the Programme Knowledge Network system of “lessons learned” and other corporate-level databases.
- Provide professional technical assistance on EiE in the preparation of the Analysis for programme development and management by collecting and analyzing data and monitoring implementation progress.
- Contribute to the identification of critical intervention points and measures by administering a consistent and transparent monitoring system; analyse country level socio-political-economic trends and their implications for ongoing programmes and projects. Draft or prepare programme work plans as required.
- Propose adjustments/changes in work plans. Propose program recommendations for inclusion in formal programme documentation, and new approaches, methods and practices for supervisor.
Programme Monitoring and Evaluations:
- Undertakes field visits to monitor and assess programme implementation and decides on required corrective action.
National and Local Capacity Building/Sustainability:
- Provide government authorities with technical assistance and supports in planning and organizing training programmes for the purpose of capacity building and programme sustainability.
- Promote and maintain the building and reinforcing of the commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners by identifying these partners and partnerships and providing continuous supports, coordination and collaboration for sustainability.
Rights Perspective and Advocacy at the National, Community and Family Levels:
- Analyze programme related issues and policies from a children’s and women’s rights perspective and advocacy at the community and family levels for elevating credibility in national policy debates.
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through active advocacy and communication.
Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration:
- Facilitate partnership and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate data and information, exchange information on programme/project status and implementation and movement/distribution of supplies.
- Provide professional support in provision of technical advice, negotiation, advocacy and promotion of area/country level goals, leading to agreement on practicable and priority actions to be supported by UNICEF programme.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- An advanced University degree in Education or a related technical field.
- A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of extensive experience and demonstrated ability in project management and overseas experience and education in emergencies required.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
- Competent in design and broad understanding of education in emergencies and schools under attack.
- Extensive knowledge and skills of equity-based planning, programming and applications required.
- High analytical skills using diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative information from a wide range of sources required.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares technical knowledge to government partners and national officials.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural and sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Proven ability to work in harsh conditions.
- Experience of working in the UN or other international development organization an asset.
- Excellent management and communication skills
For Every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- The functional competencies required for this post are Leading & Supervising, Formulating Strategies & Concepts, Analyzing, Relating & Networking, Deciding & Initiating Action; Applying Technical Expertise.
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
Method of Application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply