Requisition Number: ENGLI01641
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full-Time
- Creative is seeking an English Language Specialist for an anticipated donor-funded project in Nigeria aiming to enable more effective state and non-state systems to deliver foundational skills to all children.
- The English Language Specialist is expected to:
- Communicate clearly, accurately, efficiently, and courteously;
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, and funders; and
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to produce high- quality products in a timely manner, demonstrating leadership and initiative.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The English Language Specialist will report to the Curriculum Development Advisor.
The English Language Specialist will:
- Coordinate the development of English early literacy standards with government stakeholders and international STTA, ensuring alignment with Hausa standards and with overall literacy expectations for Nigeria;
- Provide leadership for the development and/or adaptation of English-language curricula and instructional materials, in coordination with the ICT and materials development specialist;
- Develop, implement, and support teacher, school leader, and local government authority staff training in English early literacy methods and materials, in coordination with the teacher training specialist;
- Coordinate with staff in state offices to ensure the fidelity and quality of English program implementation at the school level;
- Coordinate with the monitoring and evaluation team to develop knowledge-sharing efforts related to English early literacy, including communication briefs and presentations on achievements and lessons learned; and
- Coordinate with the project director and home office technical team to share lessons learned, problem-solve, and ensure that work in the field meets the highest standards of quality and is consistent with the state of the art in early grade literacy.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree and over five (5) years of related experience in standards development, teacher training, and materials development in early grade reading and writing in English;
- Experience working with complex projects and collaborating with professional peers on joint products;
- Knowledge of and experience with primary school context;
- Knowledge of and experience with English language curriculum;
- Teacher training and teacher coaching experience;
- Teaching/learning materials development experience;
- Team player and willingness to learn;
- Experience working with Nigerian government counterparts (at national, state, and Local Government Education Authority levels) to design, implement, support, and monitor education programming;
- Travel to project states required;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Proficiency in Hausa is a plus;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and
- Prior experience with USAID-funded projects.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
- Position contingent upon donor funding.